Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cakes

This is Jo Dee's butterfly birthday cake. She called at the last minute to let us know that she was coming here from Alabama for the weekend. Since her birthday was on Sunday, March 8th, we quickly planned a birthday cook out with the family. I had just purchased the butterfly pan so I used it for her cake. This was my first time using this pan, but it came out OK I think. It was a chocolate cake with butter cream icing. John made the antennas. It actually tasted very good. The weather was wonderful for our cookout. We grilled burgers and had lots of good food so everyone got their fill. I even used my new candy melting pot to make chocolate covered fresh strawberries. No calories that day. Right!!!
This soccer ball cake was made with a new mold. The cake is chocolate Devil's Food with white and black butter cream icing using the star tip. I did this one for Haley to take to a soccer tournament. Heard it was a hit and tasted good too.
This Pi cake was made for Haley's math class. She said that it must be round, purple, and have the Pi symbol on it. So this is what I came up with. It is a chocolate cake with butter cream icing and trim. The pi symbol and numbers were made with marsh mellow fondant. Not sure why the purple icing had small cracks in it. Maybe it was too thin when I applied it. I did do two layers of icing. Maybe that's why. Hopefully the class won't notice on Friday when they eat it. I hope they enjoy it. Added note: Haley said the kids loved the cake and the teacher was impressed as well. Of course, she said our cake was the best in the class. :)

No comments: