Friday, January 16, 2009

Cake Decorating Classes

I've started taking the Wilton cake decorating classes at the local JoAnn's Fabrics store. I've taken Courses I, II and III, and now I'm taking the course called Decorating With Fondant and Gum Paste. Fondant is an icing which becomes more hardened than the standard butter cream icing. Adding gum paste to fondant and it becomes very hard. The flowers or other decorations made with this mixture seem to last forever. I really enjoy decorating the cakes. My favorite so far is the two tiered cake frosted with butter cream icing and decorated with fondant roses. That one was a little tricky. This last one was a six inch cake covered with fondant and decorated with a fondant drape and flowers. I'm enjoying learning to make some really beautiful flowers with the fondant. The royal icing is fun to work with using the decorating bags with tips. Royal icing is great for making flowers or anyting you want to set up and last a while. I would recommend the Wilton cake decorating classes for anyone who enjoys being creative. So far I've given away all the cakes I've made. Hopefully I'll get good enough to sell some cakes and maybe make a little extra cash.

No comments: