Friday, January 16, 2009

Oval Basketweave Cake

This is an oval cake with butter cream icing. The flowers are made with royal icing and the little blue birds (yes, they are supposed to be birds) are made with color flow icing. This was my first attempt at a basket weave and using the color flow icing. I did have fun making the flowers. The basket weave was hard for me. I found out later that my icing was too stiff. I'll definately know next time to thin the icing before attempting the basket weave. This cake was done in course two. The two tiered one was done in course three.
This Poinsettia cake was a chocolate cake with butter cream icing covered with white fondant. The flowers were made with royal icing and the bow was done with green fondant. I added some edible sparkles. This one went with John to work.
Valentines Day is coming up so I'm thinking about what kind of cake I want to do next. Something using my heart shaped pans for sure.

This is a little 6 inch heart cake was made with extra batter from the hat cake. I decorated it last night using my Marshmellow fondant. John took it to work with him this morning. He put it in the x-ray department and when he went back to try a piece it was gone. So I guess everyone liked it.
The Wilton cake decorating courses are not all that expensive, but getting all the supplies can sure put a dent in the wallet. I try to use all the 40 and 50% off coupons I can get my hands on. I cut them out of the newspaper and they e-mail coupons to me which all help cut my expenses. So far I've gotten most of my supplies that way. I recently learned how to make Marshmellow Fondant which is much cheaper and tastes a lot better that the store bought fondant which runs around $20 for a 5 pound box of ready-to-use. Like I said those coupons come in handy.

No comments: