Monday, January 19, 2009

Blooming Vandas

My Orchid plants are blooming again. Guess the Bloom Buster really works. This is two Vanda Orchid plants I have hanging on the patio. The purple one has two bloom stalks on it and the pink one has only one, but boy is it loaded with blooms. Vanda blooms last for several weeks. That's why I love orchids.

Can't beat a beautiful purple Vanda. This one I bought at an Orchid show two years ago and it hasn't disappointed me yet. It blooms several times a year.




This pink one also came from another Orchid show and has been a profuse bloomer too. It's hard to beat a nice Vanda Orchid. If you feed and water it right it will reward you with blooms for years to come. My friend, Lou, says that he pots several together so he has a multi-colored display when they bloom. I might have to give that a try.

This is a bloom from my Cattleya Orchid plant. I've counted 19 bloom buds on it so far. Five have opened with four more just about to pop and the others are in different stages of development. This is an old plant and it is at least three feet across. Right now it's on my patio until the weather warms up. I wish you could see all the buds...I'm amazed. It has never bloomed this profusely before. This plant was given to me by John's mother almost eight years ago and she must have had it hanging under a tree for five years before that. I should probably re-pot it and divide it into several plants, but I'm sure that a specimen plant like this is very valuable. As long as it is healthy and I can move it around (it weighs around 20 lbs now) I'll let it be.

No comments: